Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Arrival of Austin

On April 17, 2008 my life changed in an instant.  Our son Austin Alan Colschen was born at 4:14pm and it was the most amazing experience.  We found out in August that we were pregnant and I couldn't have been more excited.  I remember going to the store and buying boxes of pregnancy tests because I wanted to make sure we really were (there is no such thing as a false positive) so I guess I just liked seeing the plus sign on the stick.  20 weeks later in November we found out that we were having a boy and knew immediately that his name was going to be Austin.  My pregnancy was pretty good for the most part with only an occasional trip to the bathroom and luckily never while I was at work.  We went to the doctors office on April 16 for a regular check up and later that night I started to go into labor.  We didn't end up leaving for the hospital till about 4 the next morning.  When we got to the hospital the contractions were anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart and I was about 3 centimeters dilated.  They had me walk around for an hour and then the contractions were right at 3 minutes apart and I was 4 centimeters dilated but we got sent home.  I know CRAZY!  Let's just say that was not the best car ride David and I have had together.  We ended up driving home and turning right back around and going back to the hospital.  When we got there they had a room ready for us and I immediately ran to the bathroom and got sick.  After that I felt much better, and after the epidural I felt even better.  I pushed through one contraction and the nurse told me to stop and that she was going to call the doctor.  We waited about 20 minutes for the doctor to get there and then a few contractions later Austin was born.  We were so excited!

No comments: