Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Thanksgiving of many "FIRSTS!"

Well let me begin by saying this Thanksgiving was one of many firsts. Haha!

1st FIRST: Since we are trying to get the room ready for our new arrival we decided to move Austin into a "big boy" bed. He loves it! We sleep GREAT in it at night but nap times we go to the other room to sleep in the crib.

Austin helping Daddy put his "big boy" bed together!
 The BIG BOY ROOM is complete!
Austin testing out his new bed!

2nd FIRST: Austin showed us he knows how to climb out of the crib. Haha! I guess since he has his "big boy" room he figured he would expand his horizons and show us some new tricks. He never once tried climbing out of the crib before the "big boy" bed but when he went down for a nap the next day he showed us he can climb and he can decorate. Haha! He chose to go for the winter look by emptying our entire paper shredder all over the ENTIRE room to make it look like it had snowed. I have to admit it was pretty funny! We got the camera and video camera and David recorded us trying to clean which then turned into a paper fight. One of my favorite memories now!

Uh Oh!  They caught me!

3rd FIRST: I cooked my first turkey EVER! I was a little nervous when on Tuesday (2 days before Thanksgiving) people starting concerning me because I hadn't bought a turkey yet and they told me it takes DAYS to thaw. Luckily for me, I went to the store that day after work and they had fresh turkeys so I was all set...OR SO WE THOUGHT! I knew about prepping the turkey and I even got myself a really good recipe that I found online. It called for a bottle of champagne which I was worried about at first but again after talking to co-workers they assured me that cooked alcohol is okay for pregnant people. So everything was perfect: I had made the mashed potatoes, the green bean casserole, fruit salad, stuffing that was in the turkey, stuffing that was out of the turkey...AND THEN...I decided to move the turkey in the oven to cook more in the middle of the oven since the stuffing (out of the turkey) no longer needed to be cooked...BIG MISTAKE!! You can't really drag a 18-19 lb. turkey pre-stuffed in your oven. Does anyone know why? Well two things: the juices may spill out of the oven bag or the foil pan may get a hole. Not sure which happend but something did and then the sizzling began. Let me remind you that my recipe called for a bottle of champagne. I of course stayed by the oven while everyone else was enjoying the company and kept saying "Umm...it's starting to smoke a little bit." Minutes later smoke was coming out of the top of the oven and within minutes our entire house was filled with smoke. It was quite a scene but I reassured everyone over dinner which still turned out delicious that if I hadn't filled the house with smoke we wouldn't have any story to talk about for Thanksgiving because the food is the same every year so now we have a TRUE MEMORY!

4th FIRST: Not sure if this is really a first because it is my second time to be pregnant but finally experienced "sickness" the day after Thanksgiving. Just as with Austin who gave me that joy beginning at week 14...this one came at week 19. I must admit that I am glad I never experienced the constant nagging feeling of it. I just feel sick, get sick, and then I'm done.
Well those were all the adventures of our Thanksgiving this year!


No comments: