Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The 'SURPRISES' with Hunter continue...

People always tell you that you will never have two children that are alike. I have to say that Hunter made this a reality all to soon for us when I was 9 weeks pregnant. The different scenarios that we had with Hunter included: subchorionic hemorrhage (9 weeks), gestational diabetes (diagnosed at 28 weeks), pre-term labor (33 weeks), preeclampsia during labor (38 weeks). I thought once he was born we would be out of the woods. Yesterday I got a call from his doctor which of course as a mom when it is your child's doctor calling you know something is up. I think it will be the same thing when they get older and their teacher calls. Haha. The doctor had to call to report that something came up on his newborn screening. Talk about your heart dropping! She spoke to me probably for 5 minutes but I have to be honest and say for those 5 minutes I really couldn't hear nor take in what she was saying so...I of course hit the computer to look up what she was talking about. Since I wasn't listening I couldn't remember exactly what she said so I was just "guessing" as to what I thought he fit by her description. I decided to call back and leave a message on the nurses line so that they could tell me again the name of what came up. David called me like he always does between his trip from his campus to the senior campus and asked how my day was going...I of course started crying and told him that the doctor called. While crying I'm telling him the doctor said everything was okay but I think as a mom you just get emotional and worried about your little ones and want EVERYTHING to be perfect. Maybe that is why Hunter came to us like he did...to teach mommy things don't always have to be perfect, everything will ALWAYS work out like it is supposed to. The doctor (God bless her) called me back again and explained it all again to me and made me feel so much better. I told her that I called my husband crying and I apologized for being the "crazy" mom and calling back again and she said: your not crazy, it's your baby. You are right to be concerned but in this case you don't need to be. She knew as a mom it's hard not to worry when you get news that 'something' came up but in this case I really didn't need to worry as he was okay. She explained they take the testing very seriously and when something comes up they do further testing to determine what is causing the test to be irregular. In Hunter's case he has what is known as Duarte Galactosemia it is a variant of the classic galactosemia which can cause serious complications. (Thank you God for looking over my sweet baby!) She told me that if I got concerned again or had questions to please call her back and she would explain it again. I love my boys doctor!

Sweet Little Hunter Ryan Colschen
Hunter sleeping is his swing all bundled up!
Hunter the 'Hairy One'...can get a small glimpse of the hair that covers his body. Look at the top of his arm. That is not fuzz from the picture. Haha. It continues to his back too.

No comments: